Chef Luciano & Gourmet Chicken was awarded the 2011 Chicago Landmark Award for Preservation Excellence for the renovation of its historic building, which was built in 1929 as one of the first White Castle restaurants in the city. The award honors outstanding projects that involve notable improvements to buildings within Chicago Landmark Districts.
The building was restored in 2010 to its 1920s glory, when it housed the 16th White Castle restaurant built in Chicago. The building, with its visually distinctive, white glazed-brick with medieval inspired details, is considered an early example of 20th century programmatic architecture – visually distinctive buildings that served as advertisements for companies. In addition, the building is considered an important part of the South Loop’s Motor Row Chicago Landmark District.